Cozaar Generic Name: Losartan Tablets
Brand Name: Cozaar
Cozaar is used for:
Treating high blood pressure alone or with other medicines. It is used in certain patients to decrease the risk of stroke. It is used in certain patients to treat kidney problems caused by diabetes (diabetic nephropathy). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cozaar is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB). It works by relaxing blood vessels. This helps to lower blood pressure.
Do NOT use Cozaar if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cozaar
- you are in your second or third trimester of pregnancy
- the patient is a child with severe kidney problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cozaar :
Some medical conditions may interact with Cozaar . Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are able to become pregnant
- if you have a history of angioedema (swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; or hoarseness), including angioedema caused by treatment with an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor (eg, lisinopril)
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, heart failure), blood vessel problems, blood flow problems, liver or kidney problems, or diabetes
- if you have a history of stroke or recent heart attack
- if you are dehydrated or have low blood volume
- if you have electrolyte problems (eg, high blood potassium levels, low blood sodium levels) or are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you are on dialysis or are scheduled to have major surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cozaar . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide) because the risk of low blood pressure may be increased
- Potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, spironolactone, triamterene) or potassium supplements because the risk of high blood potassium levels may be increased
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, indomethacin, celecoxib) or rifampin because they may decrease Cozaar 's effectiveness
- Lithium because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Cozaar
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cozaar may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.